A new chapter is starting in my life... but I have no idea yet what it will be called, though perhaps this is always the case unless one is blessed with uncommon prescience or cursed with absolute predictability in life. I will be travelling to Latin America (via San Fran) and then back 'home' to Southeast Asia (via Dubai) over the course of 5-6 months. I hope to share (some of) my stories with you as they unfold.

Thursday, September 29, 2005


The house of Chico & Paulina Mendoza


It's almost impossible to capture what the lake really looks like but this is a good attempt (thank you Sophie) showing me kayaking from San Pedro to La Playa Dorada.


On La Playa Dorada -- from left, Ben, Josh, Callum (my house 'brother') and Sophie seated.

I've also been horse-riding. Twice. And wondered both times why I'd never done it before! SO much fun. Especially as my horse -- aptly named 'China' -- is a bit of a keen galloper! Photo on the right shows China 'parked' in a public car-park in town as Callum and I arrived into town half an hour ahead of the rest of the group (including the guide who had to take the horses away). Fortunately for Alejandro (whoever he is), China didn't feel the need to defecate in his parking bay -- I was less fortunate, having been caught in a skirmish in the morning between China and another (very ill-tempered) horse which decided to dump a huge load of horse shit on my ankle. Was scrubbing my trousers pretty hard the next morning!


Fueling up on
pollo dorado in the great market town of Chichicastenango before heading off to do friendly battle with the market vendors. Bought a sombrero at long last, as well as a CD of the greatest merengue hits of Juan Luis Guerra!


Scene in Chichi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home