A new chapter is starting in my life... but I have no idea yet what it will be called, though perhaps this is always the case unless one is blessed with uncommon prescience or cursed with absolute predictability in life. I will be travelling to Latin America (via San Fran) and then back 'home' to Southeast Asia (via Dubai) over the course of 5-6 months. I hope to share (some of) my stories with you as they unfold.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Day One. Antigua, Guatemala. Arrived dazed and confused early this morning after flying from SFO via LAX (where I engaged in a bit of recreational glass-breaking in the airport wine bar) to GUA -- thankfully the hotel let me check in at 6am for a little nap! I´ve also been reading V S Naipaul´s first book on his travels through the Islamic world (thank you Andre) so when I got up at noon I wasn´t quite sure if I was in Iran or Guatemala. Certainly enough Americanos wandering about the place to confuse you.

Antigua has been a delight to walk around with lots of ruins to take pictures of, quiet gardens to write the journal in (thank you Susan) and charming courtyard cafes to sip cappuccinos in, though it´s obviously very touristy and the scale of the invasion makes me feel constantly apologetic as I pass local residents on the street. That will get better as I get the hang of this, I´m sure.

OK my friends... time for me to get out of this internet cafe!

1 Comments:

Blogger rocketman2005 said...

Que es eso?

1:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home