A new chapter is starting in my life... but I have no idea yet what it will be called, though perhaps this is always the case unless one is blessed with uncommon prescience or cursed with absolute predictability in life. I will be travelling to Latin America (via San Fran) and then back 'home' to Southeast Asia (via Dubai) over the course of 5-6 months. I hope to share (some of) my stories with you as they unfold.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Volví a San Pedro La Laguna hoy... a la escuela y a casa. Back in San Pedro in Atitlán just a few hours ago and have just had an amazing reunion with Chico & Paulina whom I surprised by just pitching up on their doorstep! It's really good to be back albeit not for long -- I am planning to have four more days of lessons (6 hrs/day this time!) before beginning the long road trip up to Pátzcuaro in México to get there in time for the Day of the Dead (1st Nov).

Things appear to be just fine in San Pedro except that there are hardly any tourists or students about, and this is really the last thing this place needs after a terrible disaster... so I intend to be out buying beer and pan and stuff, and spending money on school and homestay until I leave on Saturday. Even managed to divert two tourists to San Pedro today who were on the bus with me from Guate... though it wasn't really difficult as they were intending to travel to Santiago Atitlán (where the 1,400 people died in the mudslide and remain buried in the mud) which is still pretty much a quarantined disaster zone -- we are now pretty sure that there is a significant outbreak of hepatitis there.

But if anyone out there is thinking of coming to San Pedro or knows someone who might be, rest assured the lake is as stunningly beautiful as ever and San Pedro is very secure. It's not even raining (much) :-)

There will be more blog entries later this week... I have much to write about :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home